Friday, February 15, 2008

Carbon Footprint Sins

Okay, I admit it. I don’t do everything I can to reduce my carbon footprint and the reason only comes down to 1 factor, general laziness. As with most modern day, reasonably affluent suburbanites I take many things for granted, not least of which is jumping in the car for trips that take less than 5 minutes. Wanna know the worst bit? I’m a marathon runner, I’m fit, yet I will still take the kids to the park in the car, a journey of less than a kilometre.

You know it has become a bit of a habit too. My two boys’ soccer gradings were on down at the park tonight, one starting at 5:30, the other starting at 7:00. When I suggested that I walk them down rather than drive, at first there was stunned disbelief which soon turned into outraged indignation. How dare I suggest we walk to the park when we’ve got a perfectly good car sitting in the garage!

Well sins like that are going to stop and the family are going to be swung around until they’re outraged when I suggest we drive down to the park. I’ll know I’ve done my job of educating my kids about energy reduction, greenhouse gases, carbon emissions and our carbon footprint when they demand to know why we’re daring to drive somewhere when it’s only a half hour walk.

There, confession is good for the soul or so they say. Now I’ll invite you all to join me. Calculate your carbon footprint, check out ways you can reduce it and start making a difference.

No comments: